BOC Donnington '81

Swartz, John A. jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Thu Feb 4 08:43:30 EST 2010

I recall back in the early 80s seeing in a rock magazine (Creem, Circus, Hit Parader, or maybe Kerrang), 2 pictures of Eric Bloom.  The first one showed a smiling Eric with a caption where they are presumably quoting him (although I doubt it - you know, it was more like a cartoon thing) as saying who cares if our drummer quit, our set was bad, and a few other things that I can't recall.  The next photo showed him jumping up and down on something (perhaps the very object in this discussion) with the text underneath saying something like "I f#$&ing do!".

Anyway, regarding the sound.  There's been some contention about what exactly happened.  Here's links to a few articles that tell more of the tale regarding the sound (some of the details regarding Albert's departure may be incomplete or misleading - everyone has their opinions and recollections on what happened).

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/donington-1981.html  - overall description of the event

http://www.hotrails.co.uk/blueskybag/georgegeranios/810822_donington.htm - BOC soundman George Geranious' view of what happened, and some recollections about how soundmen deliberately hacked the live sound of opening bands on occasion.  Interesting reading.

John