OFF: Dodge 'em Dude

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Sep 6 08:22:33 EDT 2010

On Sep 6, 2010, at 1:48 AM, mike coleman wrote:

> I still hate the scientific community, especially the likes of the one used
> by American public televison who thinks the use of British accents is
> imperative.....

To be fair, that is because lots of the programming is imported from Britain, on account of the USA not exactly being voluminous in the production of non-true crime related scientific factual programmes. :-)

As a transplanted Brit, I have to admit to it being jarring watching what, to me, is _Horizon_ (called _NOVA_ over here), yet hearing the narration in an American accent.  So, I guess the accent imperative is not universal, yet.

You have to admit Alan Alda has a terrible British accent in _Scientific American Frontiers_, not to mention Neil deGrasse Tyson's in _NOVA ScienceNOW_.  They mustn't have received the memo, yet... :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Genesis, "Supper's Ready"