krankshaft format solution found

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Wed Apr 6 10:02:14 EDT 2011

On Apr 6, 2011, at 6:51 AM, Jamun wrote:

> Regarding MKV. You are correct. Its the choice of the Blu Ray ripper. Apple etc will never
> support it as its open source.

No, Apple are unlikely to support MKV in CoreAudio, not because it is open source.  They're unlikely to support it because they have thrown their weight behind other formats for which they know they are on safe ground, patent-wise.  Once it has been proven beyond a doubt (i.e., in court) that MKV is (and other free formats such as Vorbis are) unencumbered by greedy patent trolls I'm sure massive financial targets such as Apple might look towards supporting it.  Until then, I guess they'll stick to what demonstrably works for them such as AAC, Apple Lossless, MPEG-4, etc.  (The sooner the USA ditches all this software patent nonsense the better, IMHO.)

The idea that Apple do not support open source is ridiculous.  For example, the Darwin kernel of Mac OS X is open source.  Webkit (used by Chrome and Safari) is open source.  Apple have contributed a lot to the open source LLVM (GCC alternative) project, and they also released Grand Central Dispatch as open source.  Apple still allow CUPS to be distributed under an open source license, and so on.  They may not buy into the GPLv3 kool-aid, but then again, neither do a lot of people.

Apple have a ton of faults, but let us not stray too far away from the facts.

Cheers,

Paul.