[Hawkwind] Hawkwind Sheffield - Manchester et al

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Wed Dec 14 05:43:07 EST 2011

On 10/12/2011 03:32, Stephen Lindsey wrote:
> thanks Jill, excellent review, amazing to hear they're playin gnew songs

I got the setlist from the soundboards. The three new tracks are listed
on it as "Seasons", "Footsteps" and "Hills Have Ears". Given that
they're likely to be short form, "Footsteps of The Great Ones" is
entirely possible.

> aho was doing the spoken word bits  ? Dibs ?
> Was Tim Blake there ?  oh and the violinist was playing ?

The violinist was called away on important Levellers business
apparently, so the lineup (at Sheffield, Birmingham and Manchester
anyway) was Dave, Richard, Niall, Tim, Dibs.

> sorry you hate my hometownthough,
> yep, don't order Italian food in Manchester, sorry could have told you that ......

After we abandoned the pub (The Oxford) with the awful DJ, we were
seduced into an Indian restaurant up in that area slightly out from the
gig with squillions of them, to have poppadoms. very nice, but not such
a good idea for me at 1am. The things I have to do to get a beer in
peace & quiet...

>> From: jill.strobridge at BLUEYONDER.CO.UK

>> Here's a partial set list - I'm sure I'm missing stuff and have got some
>> wrong but others can fill in the gaps or amend:
>>
>> Sonic Attack
>> Better Believe It / a Space Time song segue / Better Believe It
>> <lots of skeleton dancing images in this section - excellent start>

I think the segue was Brainbox Pollution.

>> A ?new spoken/song about War Dreams and Revolution<quite powerful with
>> word sequences flashed on the screen "fnord" type words for those
>> who recognise that concept(!)>
>> An Industrial sounding intro leading into another new spoken/song - the
>> images were from the video on the Mission Control page so I wonder if it
>> was perhaps Footsteps of the Great One?<needs a recording to confirm this>
>> Another new one which, I think, might be called something like Hill of
>> ?Years

This was the Seasons, Footsteps, Hills Have Ears bit. The guitaring
tended to start and stop a little too much I thought and needed to flow
a bit more to make it sound like Hawkwind rather than Spacehead. There
are definite possibilities though...

>> Warriors
>> Angels of Life/Death - enjoyed this one with plenty of drive and energy and
>> a really nice conclusion
>> Prometheus
>> Magnu

Really *great* version of Magnu.

>> Tide of the Century - which I thought was absolutely beautiful - nice
>> instrumental intro and a good strong clear vocal (couldn't see who) - in
>> all a well presented track
>> Assassins - with a long, long indy disco drum set<a bit too long for my
>> liking but others enjoyed it - and done by some electronic drum kit thingy
>> rather than by Richard>  in the middle section

Yeah, Richard's drumming is a huge part of making Space Is Their
Palestine a favourite of mine and it loses a lot by having just a drum
machine. I wouldn't want to deny Richard his pint, but I'd happily
replace it with three after the gig if he'd continue to play this bit
personally.

>> Sentinal

That's getting better and better too.

>> Silver Machine finshed the set
>> Encores: Psycadelic Warlords<the only one in Sheffield>
>> Spirit of the the Age<greeted with huge enthusiasm by the Manchester
>> audience>

I tested out recording with a Galaxy Tab (the headphone socket has an
extra pin which permits mono input) with the Tapemachine App in
Birmingham. I lost  Sonic Attack to calibrating the input (and maybe
You'd Better Believe It too) but hopefully I'll be able to do something
with the rest once I get it into a computer. If anyone got the first two
tracks, please get in touch...

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.