"Kyuss Lives"

Carl Edlund Anderson cea at CARLAZ.COM
Tue May 3 18:11:22 EDT 2011

On 25 Apr 2011, at 14:01 , Steve Swann wrote:
> I mean, tell me
> that there's anything to complain about this version of Gardenia, recorded
> on the current tour:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3zqXy85r4M

That's not bad. :)

My principal complaint is that the instrumental jam follows the album version a little more closely than is strictly necessary.  The guitarist does something, and I think, "Oh, he's doing that bit at 3:21 ...".  I'd like to hear them go a little further out into wacko-rockero jam land, kinda in the way that the likes of Zeppelin was once capable of doing.  OK, "Kyuss Lives!" (will Yahoo! sue them for use of the exclamation point? ;)) is not a heavily road-tested band at present, so it might be considered unreasonable to ask for such exploratory prowess; and, fair enough, neither do live renditions of "Gardenia" from back in the day (e.g. Live at the Marquee Club) stray too far from the album's template.  But, hey: we'll get nowhere if we don't demand going further! :)

> And I can't stop listening to this one:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3gTQpa-O14

Well, I would certainly (try to ) go see the band if they played down my way -- though I'm not holding my breath. ;)  Will they amount to more than a tribute act? Time will tell.

Cheers,
Carl

PS - On a completely different note, anyone here heard the Polish proggy-metally band Riverside? Only just recently heard some snippets, but they seem interesting.

--
Carl Edlund Anderson
http://www.carlaz.com/