OFF: Music player advice, Return of...

Mike Holmes fofp at STAFFMAIL.ED.AC.UK
Mon Aug 5 09:31:09 EDT 2013

On 05/08/2013 13:28, Carl Edlund Anderson wrote:

> The trick remains getting it to your current stereo setup, as you say. (That's actually why I suggested a purpose-made mobile speaker-dock,
> perhaps with Bluetooth, leaving out the legacy stereo system altogether.  Then the device just plays directly to the speaker-dock, with
> or without being attached.) You could either run an cable from the device's headphone jack to an aux input on your legacy stereo, or
>  buy some separate wireless (Bluetooth?) receiver that is itself connected to the legacy stereo's aux input. (I don't know that such devices exist, but it seems like they should.)

They do:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-F8Z492cw-Bluetooth-Music-Receiver/dp/B0037LHUSE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_4

I'd either do it this way, or with a dock. My Galaxy Tab (version 1) has
a dock through which I play music and movies through my TV and stereo
system:

http://reviews.us.samsung.com/7463/ECR-D980BEGSTA/samsung-galaxy-tab-7-0-hdmi-multi-media-dock-reviews/reviews.htm

This one doesn't work with the Galaxy Tab 7 (version 3) though I suspect
it could be modded to take at least the audio (the problem is the fit
for size - it uses the same actual connector. Since the version 3
doesn't have HDMI output, I wouldn't expect that to work.

Alternatively:

http://reviews.us.samsung.com/7463/ECR-D980BEGSTA/samsung-galaxy-tab-7-0-hdmi-multi-media-dock-reviews/reviews.htm

is the dock for the version 3. It only has charging capability as far as
I can tell. What you could so is get a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 phono
cable and plug it into your amplifier. Then run the cable to the dock
and simply plug the 3,5mm jack into the headphone socket on the tab to
play music through your stereo. The dock is probably 20 bucks in the US
and even a long cable would cost less than 10 bucks.

FoFP

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.