OFF) no "strangers" in here, just lettin' ya'll know/ A.ANDROID voiceover

mary sullivan maryann.sullivan1 at VERIZON.NET
Thu Dec 19 12:21:31 EST 2013

Hi Nathan,
What tests do they use now?  (wink)  I have a degree in psychology and am
always interested in matters of the mind.  Thanks for the info, I did
question the reliability of the test, unfortunately research (and
creativity), are not my strong suits.  Feel free to write me off list, given
the time.  This is what I love about this group, there are so many smart
people here.  It's always a pleasure to be on the fringe of an intelligent
discussion where I can absorb more information.

Peace,

Mary

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET] On
Behalf Of Nathan Gilbert
Sent: Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:06 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.ISPNETINC.NET
Subject: Re: OFF) no "strangers" in here, just lettin' ya'll know/ A.ANDROID
voiceover

The "Turing Test" is a bit more subtle than that. It was actually devised to
test if an "Artificial Intelligence" was as intelligent as a human. The
thought being if you can hold a conversation with an entity and can't
discern if it is a robot, then it has "human-like"
intelligence.

The test is actually not taken very seriously by AI researchers as it is
very subjective. It is also very often wrong. There is a famous story
regarding a group researchers actually applying the Turing Test to a set of
humans and software simulations (basically chat bots.) One of the human
subjects was very well versed in Shakespeare, and the person administering
the test could not believe that an actual human could know that much about
Shakespeare and so labeled the person a robot incorrectly. Applications of
the Turing Test are wrought with this kind of mix up.

Also, the Turing Test isn't very good at determining actual intelligence in
the sense most of us look for in AIs. There are very simple chat bots that
can hold seemingly meaningful conversations for extended periods and thus
pass the Turing Test. These bots are nothing more than a collection of
pattern recognition algorithms and if/then clauses, basically on the par
with the intelligence of a thermostat.
Not the kind of intelligence we find meaningful.

Nathan -- (a semester away from a) PhD in AI.