[boc-l] The end will be coming this weekend

Terry Kennedy TERRY at glaver.org
Thu Dec 16 00:01:39 EST 2021

  Ben has already shared his thoughts with you. I'd just
like to share a few of my own before we turn out the
lights in a few days.

  Places I have worked have hosted this list continuously
since 1995. First at St. Peter's and later at various in-
carnations of an ISP I've been a partner at.

  I was not a regular (or even irregular) poster to the
list, but I've read the posts when I've had time and I've
been amazed at the various points of view and ideas that
were expressed here. I can only remember two occasions
where I had to actively "step in" to keep things civil.
That's probably a record for a list I've hosted for 25+
years.

  I want to thank you all for participating, whether as
posters or just readers. It has certainly been quite the
trip.

  The final server shutdown will likely be sometime on
Saturday the 18th or Sunday the 19th. I figured I'd post
this well in advance so anyone's final thoughts can be
recorded for posterity.

  The (somewhat) new and (very) improved BOC-L archives
are now available at https://www.glaver.org/boc-l and
after this server is shut down, December's posts will be
added to the list archives there. A bunch of the other
material there is somewhat out-of-date (like lyrics,
discographies, and so on). If any of you want to help
with "freshening things up", please drop either Ben or
myself a note.

  In closing, I thought I'd post something that sort of
just popped into my head ("Lyrics of Unknown Origin",
perhaps?). I hope you like it...

Internet makes strangers of us all
Gives us distance
Much too easily

Well I wrap myself in lyrics I've unraveled
I wrap myself in dreams
I wrap myself in solitude
But I wish I could wrap myself in thee

Tonight with you the list's hot
Without you tomorrow will be cold
Shutdown will come along
Driven by time

Internet makes neighbors of us all
But we fall
Oh so privately

Well I wrap myself in posts I've enjoyed
I wrap myself in dreams
I wrap myself in strangers arms
But I wish I could wrap myself in thee

  -- Eulogy for BOC-L 1990-2021