[boc-l] HW: It's SpaceXmas!

Jonathan Jarrett jjarrett at coriolis.greenend.org.uk
Tue Jun 15 15:20:06 EDT 2021

 	Dear all,
 		  yeah, I eventually splashed the consoiderable sum of
money for the first Hawkestrel album (and it took me much too long to get
both the senses of the name), and I was actually surprised by how
inventive some of the good stuff on there was, as well as by the fact that
there were two songs I already had on there and that the fourth side of
the album is only half-full... I guess the creative tap could only be
turned on for a short time? But the good stuff is good, and shows signs of
influences other than Alan's on it (Paul Rudolph), which sometimes Alan's
stuff needs. It's just a little bit more than an Alan Davey album as a
result.

 	Some of it must have been in the can for a while, though. Quite
apart from the slightly vampiric use of an old live recording with Lemmy
to claim he's on the album and presumably similar use of guitar tracks by
Huw, the stuff with Ginger Baker on sounded as if it was actually written
with him in the process. I wonder if Alan had to wait for him to die to
get release rights? Sorry, bad taste, but I'm curious.

 	Also, lastly, I can't agree with you Christian; Shatner gives it
his best and there's no mistaking him for anyone else, but Brian Blessed
just has more shock value... Yours all,
 					Jonathan

ObCD: Ship of Fools - _Let's Get This Mother Outta Here_

--
        Jonathan Jarrett, Keighley and University of Leeds
     "Says not the Wise One, `When two men cannot agree over