Criticism-Round 2

Robert Kohl rkohl at STATE.DE.US
Thu Nov 9 09:15:29 EST 1995

theo writes:
>>stuff deleted<<
I think that human nature might allow even seasoned music veterans to harbor
a bit of resentment over our comments.
>>stuff deleted<<
First, thanks for the previous compliments, theo.  Regarding this statement,
though, I wonder if this resentment on "their" part takes into account that
the people making the criticism (of which I'm NOT one) are fans who choose to
devote time to a list about "their" work?  If there were a list dedicated to
my work (oh, how boring that would be), I would be honored and wouldn't be
bothered by critical comments.  Hell, I might even appreciate constructive
criticism.  Simply negative messages like "you stink!" would be laughed off.
However, I'm not in the public domain.  Again, how many people in this world
are fortunate enough to have lists dedicated to their work?  I like to think
that they appreciate us just being here, and that should outweigh any
potential resentment that they may feel.

theo continues:
>>stuff deleted<<
So, while bands can certainly dismiss hate mail of the kind your scenario
envisions, I think criticism from BOC-L may carry just the least bit more
weight.
>>stuff deleted<<
Point well-taken.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here.  I
still think that professional musicians (of which a good friend of mine is
one), as a rule, have a thick-enough skin even for comments from BOC-L.

John S. writes:
>>stuff deleted<<
Well, others may disagree, but I'm of the opinion that we should all be
sensitive to other people's opinions, celebrities or not.
>>stuff deleted<<
Amen to that, John.  I hope that's why this list exists, so that we can all
post our opinions.

And let me take the idea another step.  The confirmation message that I got
when I first subscribed indicated that the server for this list is physically
located in the United States (it said US in the upper right corner).
Therefore, it seems to me that the 1st amendment applies here.  People can
say what they want.  If someone thinks we ought to watch what we say for fear
of offending someone else, then maybe they ought to be on a server in Beijing
or Havana.

John S. continues:
>>stuff deleted<<
Perhaps there is some opinion that we should not try to offend those
considered celebrities here on the list (stuff skipped) but because we feel
that we don't want them to leave the list--now these celebrities are people
just like you and me, but perhaps because they are celebrities, people on the
list might be more disappointed to see them leave the list rather than you or
I.
>>stuff deleted<<
Agreed.  I also believe that other list members would have more of a problem
with celebrities leaving the list than either you or I.  Don't get me wrong,
I think its great that professional artists are involved here.  Besides
natural curiosity to see what folks are saying about you, its also a good
business move (I wrote a dissertation on this topic in at previous post, so
enough said here).  But I can't imagine anyone being influential enough to
make a mailing list toxic enough that another person (especially a
professional musician) wants to leave.

John S. continues:
>>stuff deleted<<
however, I may not be a good person to test the theory on because I don't
typically try to insult anybody on the list.
>>stuff deleted<<
Agreed again.  Its not in my nature to insult anyone either.  Constructive
criticism, however, is another ball of wax.  I would have no problem offering
constructive criticism if I were moved to do so (and I HAVE NOT been moved to
do so as of yet).  Now, whether the subject of that criticism actually gives
a crap about what I say is another matter, and I stand by my original post
regarding this.

Maybe you and I, John, are among the few who understand this difference.  It
also sounds like you and I are among the few that recognize that we're
talking about figures in the public domain, and all the good and bad that
goes with it.  I'd wager that they went into this biz with their eyes wide
open.  Perhaps some common ground here?

--Dr. Bob
rkohl at state.de.us