OFF: Bevis Frond rules!

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Tue Nov 28 09:11:43 EST 1995

        Saw Bevis Frond at the Boat Race in Cambridge last night.  It was
incredibly cool!  (And yes, Scott, Nick didn't mind at all my taping the
show--so it's all there except for about 12 secs of guitar solo where the
first tape side ended, and a bit of dialogue before the encore; oh, and
a bit of minor drop-out right at the end where I must have joggled the
recorder or spilled cider on it or something).

        The support act was some band called Flyte Reaction, who I half
think I'd heard of before.  They were actually pretty cool as well, though
I didn't tape them.

        The Frond was mostly as per the recent album: Nick, of course,
and ex-HW Adrian Shaw on bass and Andy Ward on drums.  Andy Ward appeared
to be mildly insane :)
        I only knew a few of the actual Bevis songs, since previosuly
I've only had 3 Bevis CDs, 2 of which are in the States.  I knew the
material off of the new album, _Superseeder_: a bit of the intro to
"House of Mountains", "Dolly Bug", "Stoned Train Driver", and
"Superseded".  He also played "Wild Jack Hammer" off _New River Head_.
As for the rest, I've no effing clue, but they were all cool.
Something over a 100 minutes, all told.
        The last song of the set and the encore were both tremendously
long, of course, and during the last song Nick and Adrian wandered down
into the audience and jammed hugely.  There was much dancing amongst the
crowd throughout the set, though it smelled to me like the kitchen staff
had set fire to the oregano by acident or something ....

Very cool, all in all, and the tape didn't come out to bad.  I was standing
on the side where Shaw was playing bass, so the normally lousy bass
response I my recorder was off-set a bit.

Cheers,
Carl