workshop

Bryan Irby irby at HERA.ASTR.UA.EDU
Tue Sep 26 17:53:45 EDT 1995

Haven't seen anyone post anything about Workshop of the Telescopes
yet, so I'll say something brief:

-Nice packaging: cover is inside slip of RBN vinyl (anubis on crypt thing)

-Doesn't appear to be digitally remastered

-Includes the following prev unreleased on CD (well, not officially) tracks:
        Workshop of the Telescopes      (from '72 Bootleg EP)
        The Red & the Black             (from '72 Bootleg EP)
        Buck's Boogie                   (from Guitars that Destroyed the World)
        Born to Be Wild (studio)        (B-side of live BTBW from OYFOOYK)

-Full track listing is:
  Disc 1:
        1-Cities on Flame (BOC)
        2-Transmanicon MC (BOC)
        3-Before the Kiss (BOC)
        4-Stairway to the Stars (BOC)
        5-Buck's Boogie (GTDTW)
        6-Workshop of the Telescopes (Boot EP)
        7-The Red & The Black (Boot EP)
        8-7 Screaming Diz-busters (T&M)
        9-Career of Evil (ST)
        10-Flaming Telepaths (ST)
        11-Astronomy (ST)
        12-Subhuman (OYFOOYK)
        13-Harvester of Eyes (OYFOOYK)
        14-ME 262 (OYFOOYK)
        15-Born to Be Wild (b-side)
  Disc 2:
        1-The Reaper (AOF)
        2-This Ain't the Summer of Love (AOF)
        3-ETI (AOF)
        4-Godzilla (Spectres)
        5-Goin' Through the Motions (Spectres)
        6-Golden Age of Leater (Spectres)
        7-Kick out the Jams (SEE)
        8-We Gotta Get out of this Place (SEE)
        9-In Thee (Mirrors)
        10-Marshall Plan (CE)
        11-Veteran of the Psychic Wars (FOUO)
        12-Burnin' For You (FOUO)
        13-Dominance & Submission (ETL)
        14-Take Me Away (RBN)
        15-Shooting Shark (RBN)
        16-Dancin' in the Ruins (CN)
        17-Perfect Water (CN)

As for my own personal opinions, I'm obviously glad for the inclusions of
the unreleased stuff, but am, like a lot of people I expect, not happy
about no remastering.  The bizarre inclusion of the SEE cover songs as
"BOC's Greatest Hits" mystifies me a bit, especially considering the
fact that there is only 1 (real) track from T&M, 1 from Mirrors (and not
the best one at that), and 1 from CErectus (again, why the Marshall Plan..?).
Nice inclusions from RBN & CN though.

I hope that this "Tyranny & Mutation" set is a real thing, with the SFG
material on it.  But then, who doesn't?

-Bryan