blotto

Ted O. Jackson TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Wed Apr 24 14:12:55 EDT 1996

> >Have you guys ever listened to Blotto?  I don't think they're
> >together anymore, but they were a hard rockin' group who had a lot of
> >humor.  One of them collaborated on BOC's 'Dragon Lady' from 'Rev. by
> >Night.'  Buck is prominently featured on their video 'Metalhead.'
> >Sample song titles:  'I wanna be a Lifeguard,' 'She's Got a Big
> >Boyfriend.'  And don't forget the Pearlman/Krugman produced
> >Dictators, with references to EB in their songs.  Some may find some
> >of their songs racist, but I prefer to think of them as iconoclastic:
> >if you pick on everyone, how can you be called prejudiced?
> >theo
> >

> Which label are (were) they on?
> I'll try to check 'em out...
>
> And this racist discussion reminds me of Type-O-Negative, I think they are=
> =20
> in a similar situation.
>
>                 -Daniel

That's a good quest.  The LP I have was an indie, I think, or at
least a small one.  I do know that someone recently released a 'best
of' set from them on CD, and that may have been a bigger label.
Probably no trouble finding that one, though the early stuff is
likely OP.  Poor sheltered one that I am, I've never heard Type-O.
The dictators had two songs that COULD offend [at least politically,
their whole oeuvre might likely offend some musically as well!] e.g.
'Back to Africa,' and 'Master Race Rock,' though the latter says
nothing whatever negative about any ethnic group, but rather
proclaims the band as members of the master race, and then lists
m,any of the dubious distinctions which qualify them as such.  Just
the title would offend.  'Back to Africa' is racist, plain and
simple.
theo

New and noteworthy:  Richard Thompson, You? Me? Us?