BRAIN: Rodeo review

Mon Dec 2 10:37:58 EST 1996

Great review Rudy!

>Gun

Yeah, I can imagine this would be a great opener.  "Name Your Monster" is
probably STILL my favorite tBS track (although "My Civilization" and "Time
Will Take Care of You" are right up there as well), but the've been using
it for at least 2 years, so maybe it's time to try something new.  The
thing I always liked about "Name Your Monster" as an opener is the way it
starts, with a very light guitar and some subdued drums on the intro, and
then everyone crashing in on those 3 chords, and then Deb belting out the
first verse.  Very cool.  But, "Gun" is a nice up-tempo song that just
MOVES - with some more raw vocals from Deb to boot.

>Medusa
St. Vitus Dance

"Medusa" has, and rightfully so, been a staple in recent sets, and I
suspect "St. Vitus Dance" will become one as well.  This is kind of a
nice spot in the set for St. V - after 2 heavy hitters, this one is a
bit more bouncy -- sort of like, "O.K., now that I have your attention,
would ya like to dance?"

>Date With a Guitar
Locked Up
Laura's Plastic Swords

More into the new material, and 3 fine choices.  How does "Locked Up"
translate live?  With Deb's whispered vocals on the CD, I didn't think
this would necessarily translate well in a live show - I would think
it would be too subtle.

>Gimme Nothing
My Civilization

Back to the heavy hitters - my 2 personal favorites from *Trepanation*.
Both should be staples in the set for some time IMHO.

>Tender Was the Night (plenty of wah wah, Carl)
Operation Luv (included a tasty drum and bass break)

Nice.  After the 2 heavy tunes, we lighten up (just a bit) and pick up
the pace for a big finish.  "Operation Luv" is kinda orgasmic and probably
left the crowd a little breathless...

>Overture (with guest Jack Rigg)

Ooh - now I really wish I was there...  I didn't suspect "Overture"
was a candidate for the live set, but I hope it stays in there at least
long enough so that I get to see it live.  Was there any monologue by
either Deb or Al before or after this song? (like when they did "Death
Valley Nights" in Boston?)

>Dominance and Submission (raucous Al laughter)

Cool.  This might be a good time to mention an idea that I've had for a
few months now - whether or not tBS use is it is up to them.  But, I
was playing D&S on my bass one day and I got to the part before the last
verse ("In Time Square now people do the polka...") where it's just bass
and drums dominating the song before the vocals, and as I was tapping out
the bass part (just going from E to F#), I suddenly got the idea to throw
in the riff to "Tattoo Vampire" (which is actually in the key of G, but
I just transposed it down a half step so it was also in F#), and suddenly
thought "Yeah, let's jump right into 'Tattoo Vampire' here! Cool!".  So,
then after either doing the song (or part of it - maybe one verse and the
chorus), you go back into the "Time Square" part of D&S (I think Carl
once suggested doing something similar with "Sisters of the Precious
Blood" instead of "Tattoo Vampire") and finish the song.  Well, maybe
I'm just hoping that tBS do "Tattoo Vampire" someday...

>Red & Black

Did Billy Hilfiger have to ask the soundman for permission?  ;-)

Nice - very nice indeed.

John