BOC: Guitarists and Spectres

Matthew Braun mbraun at RAYGUN.URBANA.MCD.MOT.COM
Tue Dec 10 05:27:47 EST 1996

His royal Swann-ness <swann at MINDVOX.COM> writes:
>That said, I'd take DD over Lonely Teardrops, True Confessions, or
>Mirrors any day.  And some days, I'd take it over Dr. Music.

EVERY day over Dr. Music.  (The "Call the Doctor" backup singers make we
want to barf.)  "True Confessions", though, no way.  TC is just too good a
transition from "This Ain't The Summer Of Love" to DFtR, due to strangeness.
It's one of the freaks in the show, telling you this isn't your father's
Rock-n-roll album: this album's gonna be weird.

Debbie Denise is AOF's comic relief.  It's the crypt-keeper giving his bad
pun ending to the story in the horror comic.  It backs the listener away
from The Edge (maybe a bit too far) before the album ends.  It's a "Yeah,
well, we were just kidding, anyway..." song.  (Maybe this ruins the album
for some folks, I dunno.)  Nevertheless, I find it a bit unsettling because
it *is* there, and *is* so out of place--just another freak in the show.

Actually, as an album closer, it reminds me of "Redeemed" from their first
album.  Both albums have serious songs ("Cities On Flame" and "Tenderloin")
followed by a complete stylistic change in the folk/country "Redeemed" and
ummm...just what is "Debbie Denise"?

Thing is, where "Redeemed" is sincere, DD is silly.

                                        m@

+-mbraun at urbana.mcd.mot.com-+- Yes I know the secrets of the iron and mind ---+
|   Matt Braun -- Motorola, |    Their trinity acts a mineral fire.           |
|  Urbana, IL Design Centre |  Yes I know the secrets of the circuitry mind   |
+---Special Projects Team---+--- It's a flaming wonder telepath...   ----[BOC]+