Imaginos :Black & Silver

Rocker22 at AOL.COM Rocker22 at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 22 14:44:05 EST 1996

In a message dated 96-02-21 14:14:19 EST, Chip writes:

>Rocker22 at AOL.COM:
>> It seems to me that one must remember that Imaginos came out
>> because of BOC.  No BOC, no Imaginos.
>
>        Get something straight:
>
>        Albert had already written everything.  He had a band.  He'd
>        already recorded demos that would have passed for an album
>        pretty nicely.

My understanding was that Albert had turned the finished album in to CBS.
 Those weren't demos, they were finished tracks.

>        You are aware, aren't you, that Al has put out two albums of his
>        own since then, right?

Of course.  I've got them both...

>        Perhaps what you meant to say was, "No BOC, no _Imaginos_ on CBS
>        Records."  Not a big deal, especially in retrospect.

No, I meant "No BOC, no Imaginos".  It's very possible that, had CBS not put
out Imaginos, it might have died and NEVER been issued.  After all, it had
been in progress for several YEARS!  And CBS (I believe) had already paid for
the album, so (presumable) it was theirs (only) to issue.  As Deb pointed
out, albums get shelved all the time and NEVER see the light of day.

Also, things were different in the music industry 7-8 years ago.  The
Imaginos project could have died without BOC.  In reality, Albert is probably
the only one who can properly answer this question.

So, Albert, what do you think would have happened to Imaginos if BOC hadn't
gotten involved?

>> I've heard Albert's version of Imaginos (at the Museum) and it is
>> significantly different in both feel and texture.
>
>        ?????
>
>        I've heard Albert's Imaginos demos very recently (like, in the
>        last 24 hours) and it's incredible how much was copied directly
>        to the final product -- even down to the feedback, vocal cues,
>        and effects.  Sure, there are some differences - especially
>        with the non-BOC singers - but not many.  John, care to agree
>        ot disagree with me?

I won't disagree about the fact that that the BOC version was VERY close to
Alberts version.  My understanding is that the budget for Imaginos had been
used up. CBS  granted a few extra $'s for BOC to come in and "finish" the
album.  There wasn't the budget to do significant changes, just some overdubs
and minor changes.  However, TO ME, Alberts version is significantly
different in both feel and texture.  Not good different, not bad different,
just...different.

>        But, yer quite right, parts 2 & 3 of Imaginos would be
>        incredible.

I think just about everyone here would agree with that statement...

R.