OFF: Internet Ripoff

Paul Mather paul at CSGRAD.CS.VT.EDU
Fri Jan 19 09:01:36 EST 1996

Rob Maerz writes:

> just wanted to pass this EMail that I received in case you get it...I saw
> this company on NBC news and how they are getting sued because their product
> just doesn't work...they claim that they have a multimedia program to can
> help ya learn stuff...

> RE: The Learning Machine Takes You Beyond Virtual Reality
>           http://fincon.com
>
> Amazing!! If you have a moment check out a new web site http://fincon.com
> They have an incredible new multi-media technology that uses a special
> digital headset that forces your mind to learn.  It blew my mind!!!  Kinda

I remember a friend of mine getting a catalogue in junk mail that
included big adverts for "The Learning Machine."  Their claims for it
are incredible!  I have to admit, when I saw it I kind of laughed out
loud.  What they appear to sell is a range of highly expensive CDs
which you listen to via a standard "discman" type portable CD player
whilst wearing a crummy-looking headset.  This "special digital
headset" looked uncomfortably like a regular pair of headphones,
together with a "futuristic-looking" visor attached that sported what
appeared to be ordinary flashing LEDs.

I think the basic idea behind it is that the flashing LEDs---in
concert with the sound---are supposed to make your brain enter certain
states in which it is more "open."  I have heard of these kind of
devices being popular in Japan, for purposes of relaxation and
meditation.  I have not heard of them being used in conjunction with
"learning."

Well, you know what they say about fools and their money... ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: The Beatles, _Revolver_

e-mail: paul at csgrad.cs.vt.edu                    A stranger in a strange land.