OFF: Re: Hawkzine #4/MM

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Sun Jan 28 15:46:07 EST 1996

Re: Monster Magnet
>        Bob rags on the band for putting
>        out too many singles from the new record (even though they all contain
>        unreleased material), playing juvenile shows, and comparing them to
>        REM and Stone Temple Pilots as far as MTV success goes (which is not
>        even true)....... So what's my point... My point is that I thought
>        that besides a few tracks that most of Dopes to Infinity was very
>        heavy uncomprimsing spacy metal.. I wish the swishy sounds and audio
>        generator sounds were higher in the mix, like Dave told me they
>        originally were. Also, I spent an hour talking with Dave back in
>        August and hs is not into the commercial rock shit. What he is trying
>        to do is ride the very edge of the commercial music industry, enough
>        so that he can make enough money to do the type of music things he
>        wants to do and also still be creative and not have to comprimise too
>        much.

        I must concur with Scott.  I know Dopes was a bit of a
departure from the earlier material, but what the hell?  It was still
excellent.  And I concur with Wyndorf's analysis--sure it's great for
fans to have an unknown little band all to themselves, but the musicians
would actually like to make some money!  (Monster Magnet's bass player
had been reduced to flipping burgers before Dopes came out, after all!)
Best if the musicians can ride the edge of the commericial wave to
the top (or near enough) and still make some cool stuff.  Then when
they have the power they can do what they want.  And they get to
bring some cool sounds to more mainstream types along the way.
        Hell, if they want to lose popularity they can always release
75 minutes of "25 ... Tab (Slight Return)" :)  We'll love it, but
no one else will :)

CHeers,
Carl