Fogerty no show

Ted Jackson jr. TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Thu Jul 11 09:19:44 EDT 1996

> > Make no mistake, that ain't CCR you'll be seeing, but rather
> > Creedence Clearwater *Revisited*.  The original lineup without the
> > only one that matters--John C. Fogerty.  So don't waste your time on
> > that part of the show.  A good time to go out for a beer...
>
>         I wouldn't be so fast, actually ... I've heard some good reviews
> of this band though, even from people who expected it to suck without
> John.  At worst, I understand its an enjoyable nostalgia trip.  Might
> well be worth checking out.
>
>         After all, as long as they play well, who cares whos in the
> band?  3OC still put on a great show, once you get past the fact that you
> can more or less guess the set-list and you don't know whether the sound
> will be good or not.

Yeah, but the 3 in 3OC are guys who were crucial to the overall sound
of the band.  And Since Eric and Buck sang most of the BOC tunes
anyway...John Fogerty WAS CCR.  Period.  Lead Singer, Lead guitarist,
songwriter, producer--everything.  They might be a decent band, but
they should be in a bar making 200 bucks a night where they should be
rather than flogging the corpse of maybe the best American rock band
ever.  To follow your argument, what if BOC broke up when Al left,
Eric and Buck and Allen pursued solo careers, and Al and Joe stayed
together, hired a new lead singer and guitarist.  Would that be BOC
in your eyes and worth seeing?  Maybe, given what Al's done with tBS,
definitely worth seeing, but not as BOC.  I'd be happier to see the
CCR thing doing new material that the remnant wrote, rather than
trying to cash in on John's creativity.  The reason CCR broke up in
the first place was over jealousy from Stu and Doug over John's
creativity [and, true, autocratic leadership of the band].  John knew
if he let the others write tunes, then CCR would be just another
mediocre band.  Same kind of thing happened with Buddy Holly--he was
just light years ahead of other musicians...
theo