Daniel/Yngwie connection?

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Thu Jul 11 13:50:24 EDT 1996

> But I agree with ya an Ritchie.  Even though Steve's a
> monster plyr, and I'd love to see him front his own band, Purp w/o
> Ritchie isn't Purp.

        I've never quite been able to get behind the personality cult
band concept--I've always just concerned myself with "does it sound good?"
and "is it entertaining?"

        I guess that's largely because many bands I know have had dire
line-up changes over the course of the years--I'm a big Fairport fan and
there was a period in the mid-70s where they had _no_ original members
for a few albums!  Heck, they've never had more than one original
member since 1971!

        I do understand how some key members can totally drive the
direction of a band--Lemmy *is* Motorhead, Brock *is* Hawkwind,
Tull *is* Ian Anderson (and Martin Barre, actually).  But even if
Lemmy went mad and decided never to do anything connected with Motorhead
again and didn't care if Mickey Dee and Campbell used the name and
recruited a new bass player ... heck a horn section, synth player,
and some fire eaters ;) and toured with it ..

        Well, it might not be anything like Motorhead as we knew and
loathed it :)  but it might also still be a good gig!

Cheers,
Carl

Carl Edlund Anderson                            *  "Ar det inte ett
cea20 at cus.cam.ac.uk                             *   fritt land?"
http://wjh-www.harvard.edu/~canders/hem.html    *
Dept. of ASNAC Studies, Cambridge U.            *   -- Pippi Langstrump