Daniel/Yngwie connection?

Daniel Wikdahl mpj95wid at MC.HIK.SE
Fri Jul 12 06:31:52 EDT 1996

theo wrote:

>Ritchie's one of the few plyrs that Yngwie will grudgingly admit to
>liking.  Birds of a feather? Daniel, you and Yngwie have something in
>common!

True, but it's hard to admit you have something in common with Yngwie ;-)

and Carl wrote this:

>        I've never quite been able to get behind the personality cult
>band concept--I've always just concerned myself with "does it sound good?"
>and "is it entertaining?"

The cult thing is not interresting at all, but I always compare current
line-ups with the ones that used to be (those I once started to like).
But things weren't always better in the past... nothing is sacred, and it's
a bands obligation to be "entertaining" and "sound good".
Then is the main question, "When is a band entertaining?"

>        I guess that's largely because many bands I know have had dire
>line-up changes over the course of the years--I'm a big Fairport fan and
>there was a period in the mid-70s where they had _no_ original members
>for a few albums!  Heck, they've never had more than one original
>member since 1971!

Hmmm, Purple did change their line-up back in (I'm not sure) 69.
But most people look at Gillan and Glover as original members.

>        I do understand how some key members can totally drive the
>direction of a band--Lemmy *is* Motorhead, Brock *is* Hawkwind,
>Tull *is* Ian Anderson (and Martin Barre, actually).

Yes, but Ian is the STAR and Martin is just... bald... :-)
I wonder how Tull would have sounded today if Tony Iommi still had been in
the band... "Roots to branches" is not very enjoyable album... not
entertaining and does not sound good at all...

>But even if
>Lemmy went mad and decided never to do anything connected with Motorhead
>again and didn't care if Mickey Dee and Campbell used the name and
>recruited a new bass player ... heck a horn section, synth player,
>and some fire eaters ;) and toured with it ..
>
>        Well, it might not be anything like Motorhead as we knew and
>loathed it :)  but it might also still be a good gig!

Could be... but don't forget what happened with the bluesrock band Fleetwood
Mac that became the pop band Fleetwood Mac...

                                -Daniel  in not so sunny Sweden...

.

"Jag har en papegoja -så jag bestämmer" (Rickard Fuchs)

Daniel Wikdahl
Kaptensgatan 2a
S-39 236 KALMAR
SWEDEN