HW: Re: Latest news on Roswell, etc.

Andrew A. Apold mordru at MAGG.NET
Mon Jul 15 15:41:40 EDT 1996

>On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Jon Browne wrote:

>B) Guess where New Mexico is?... Right next to TEXAS!!! :) :) :)  If HW
>manages to perform at the Roswell thing, there'll be NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER
>for them to skip Texas!  Yes!

You just discovered this?  They may be adjacent, but Roswell is farther from
Dallas than New York is to Detroit.  By the same arguments they'd have to
hit Colorado,
Arizona, Oklahoma, and that hotbed of space rock, Utah.  I've driven it, there's
 no straight shot through, even.  Best bet would be to take I-20 to Pecos, then
 up along the Pecos river to Roswell on US 285.

 (yes, Roswell is on the banks (well, just off the banks) of the
legendary Pecos river. )

Anyone flying in would best fly into El Paso or Lubbock, and negotiate
highways through there.  I'd recommend El Paso, as the scenery coming
 in from El Paso is much better (after the first 2 hours)  Or you could try
Amarillo, which  is a bit farther but has a more direct route than either El
Paso
or Lubbock.  Or you could go via Albuqerque, if you just hafta meat Jean and
 Manuel, but it would be longer still, though it has a pretty
straightforward route.
Even so, you're talking several hours driving  to get to Roswell, I'd say at
least
3 (and that's if you push it).  None of these routes involve interstates (except
a short hop from Albuqerque)....

Overall, that's the main problem for something like this, access.  If you
plan on
going, do just that, plan.  Heaven help you if you break down in a foreign car
somewhere in this area.  I did near Odessa to the southeast aways, in a friend's
Volvo.  The mechanic's quote.  "Valvo.  We never seen one of them Valvos
before..."

Andrew A. Apold, aka                        "I was corrupt before I had power!"
Roger Shrubstaff                                 - Random, upon being accused
Guildmaster of Reeves                          of being corrupted since
Barony of Silverwater                             becoming King....
Kingdom of the Burning Lands                (Roger Zelazny, d. 1995)