HW: first song (was 32 tracks)

Keith A Henderson khenders at MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
Mon Jun 17 16:15:27 EDT 1996

Andrew said...

> >Let me clarify that I was joking about "Good Morning" and "Zone", as those
> >are tracks frequently slagged by HW fans here. I guess the song most likely
> >to be heard first would be "Silver Machine", which, in most forms, shouldn't
> >make too bad an impression.
>
> Well, I suppose we could start a slew of "first song heard" messages.
> ("Lord of Light" was the first HW song I ever heard, it made an instant
> convert....)

Mine was 'Quark, Strangeness, and Charm' in 1980, and although that particular
song wasn't really the one that instantly converted me to Hawkwindism, the
album as a whole made me go out and buy 'Space Ritual'.  I was surprised at how
different it was, but then I loved that one just as much (or more).  What
finally sealed it was getting 'Levitation' on tape next, and listening to it
virtually every night (on headphones, of course) for about six months.  Funny
thing is, these first three albums I got are three of my current four
favourites (the other being 'Warrior').

I wouldn't think 'Silver Machine' would be the track of choice for a new
listener, although it is certainly the most known.  I think LoL would be
better, actually, but I would suggest '7 x 7' would be the best single track to
represent HW to a new listener...it's got several different aspects of HW
music/poetry in one piece.  Hassan I Sahba wouldn't be so bad either....

Keith H. (FAA)

ObAdvice:  'Mummy, Daddy, said to me....Get a job!'