HW: first song (was 32 tracks)

M Holmes fofp at TATTOO.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jun 18 14:23:10 EDT 1996

Keith A Henderson writes:

> > >Let me clarify that I was joking about "Good Morning" and "Zone", as those
> > >are tracks frequently slagged by HW fans here. I guess the song most likely
> > >to be heard first would be "Silver Machine", which, in most forms, shouldn't
> > >make too bad an impression.
> >
> > Well, I suppose we could start a slew of "first song heard" messages.
> > ("Lord of Light" was the first HW song I ever heard, it made an instant
> > convert....)
>
> Mine was 'Quark, Strangeness, and Charm' in 1980, and although that particular
> song wasn't really the one that instantly converted me to Hawkwindism, the
> album as a whole made me go out and buy 'Space Ritual'.  I was surprised at how
> different it was, but then I loved that one just as much (or more).  What
> finally sealed it was getting 'Levitation' on tape next, and listening to it
> virtually every night (on headphones, of course) for about six months.  Funny
> thing is, these first three albums I got are three of my current four
> favourites (the other being 'Warrior').

Yeah, my conversion to Hawkwind occured as a roommate constantly played
WotEoT and HotMG. I really liked "Magnu" and "You'd Better Believe It".
I was also reading more or less all of the Eternal Champion books when
the similarity of The Wizard Blew His Horn to the Corum books struck me.
"Hang On" I thought and looked at the liner notes, "Moorcock? Hmmmm, I
should give this band a listen..."

And within six months I had all the albums plus most of the singles and
had organised a minibus to the 1977 tour.

The rest, as they say, is history.

FoFP