HW: Brixton, Brentwood and onwards

bart bart at AEOLIANS.BT.CO.UK
Tue Jun 25 07:01:06 EDT 1996

Right, well had a fine old time last night at Ipswich - certainly I thought
the Hawks did a better job than the gig at Brixton last year.

Caught quite a bit of Capt. Rizz including Alan Davey doing some bass work for
them, and must admit they were far better than I remember from last time.
I'd dragged a couple of friends along, and to be honest the place needed it
since it was far from full. Sound quality wise I couldn't really fault it,
except maybe Ron's vocals, but then again it was probably Ron's vocals
rather than the PA :)
Setwise it looks much the same as the last couple of nights. Highlights had
to be Assassins (some serious jigging about by me), the extended jam during
Sputnik Stan, and Kapal. Unless I time travelled on the way to having a
waz, I don't recall them playing Aerospaceage Inferno. The only difference
I can see was another instrumental between Sput. Stan and Xenomorph. I'm
not up on the tracks on Alieen4 but to me it sounded very much like a
vocal-less rendition of Shouldn't Do That, but you'd have to find a tape to
confirm. The light show was OK, but didn't properly take advantage of the
arched, church-like roof of the venue which would have been a good place to
bounce lights off.
I also agree that Abduction is a very wierd way to finish a gig, rather than
go out with a bang. The set lasted just a bit over 2 hours with the encore.

Got accosted by the guy handing out copies of Hawkfrendz, who thought the
Nethawks (US ed.) t-shirt was a really cool design.  "Yeah, I know" ;-) ;-)

Cheers,

Tim