AB on BOC-L vs. AOL

Ted Jackson jr. TOJACKSO at HAWK.SYR.EDU
Fri Jun 28 10:34:09 EDT 1996

> Former active listmember (now lurker in digest mode) Adrian Brevard asked me
> to post some of his thoughts on the recent BOC-L vs. AOL discussion.  I
> think it may be a moot point since it would appear that most have already
> taken his advice anyway (including a few listmembers reminding me to chill
> out - which I appreciate).  It does not appear to me that we are about to

No need to chill John.  Everyone's entitled to flip out from time to
time.  That's part of the coolness of BOC-L!  But anyway, tell AB to
get out of lurker mode and start writing some good shit for BOC-L.
His presence is misssed!

> get into another major debate about the 2 groups (a good thing, since we
> really are all on the same side when you think about it).  Anyways, his

True.  We're all BOC fans, and I think tBS/Al fans as well, though
the aol folks seem, at least from what little I've read, to be a
little lukewarm towards Al.  The only point of departure seems to be
that the aol folks don't like to get critical about BOC.  I don't
think it means you're disloyal simply 'cause you criticize a band you
like.  It's your right considering all the personal investment of
time/resources you've made in pursuing the group, and I believe we
criticise more out of frustration over how truly great the band could
be.  Also, the fact that they steadfastly refuse to get any new
material out for us makes everyone unhappy.  And, I suspect the
group's pretty frustrated too...

> thoughts follow.
>
> John
>
> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> Ladies, Fish and Gentlemen:
>
> Please do not get caught up in the AOL v. BOC-L dispute of for that
> matter tBS v. 3OC.  These are all fruitless arguments.
>
> Both lists provide useful information, intelligent dialog (well
> sometimes) and basically a forum for people to lay out their opinions.
> AOL has Buck & Eric and BOC-L has Al.  Both are great lists for what
> they do, however they differ from each other to the point that
> comparisons are moot.
>
> As for tBS and 3OC I doubt that either of these groups really cares what
> the other is doing.  Whether or not they sincerely wish the other well

Oh, I imagine they keep pretty good track of each other, esp. given
the comparative visability they enjoy.  Don't you still think about
old girlfriends, old bands you were in etc?  Does it occupy their
thoughts all the time?  Of course not, but I'm sure they all keep
their ears open.

> or harm is immaterial to the inhabitants of both services and a private
> matter.  I+m sure Al+s decision to form tBS was motivated solely by his

True!  That's private, and could hardly be improved by our
tampering/speculation/etc...

> desire to create an outlet for his talents, no hidden agenda.  3OC

Absolutely!  Al's a player, it's what he does best, and he's strictly
out to make music.  Case closed!

> decision to sign with a German record company is simply a business
> decision and nothing more.  I cannot fathom any other possible, logical
> reason that could suggest otherwise.

Right!  I'm just glad they finally made a contract.  Now PLEASE, get
us a record, and a great one at that!

> Let this one die a quiet death people there are much worthier topics to
> be discussed.  Such as tBS new CD, goading Albert into doing a live one
> (how about it big guy?) Hawkwind+s tour and countless other things which
> make the digest too large to for my mail system to display everything.

Right on!  With the advent of a new tBS record, that should be the
buzz on BOC-L rather than any petty backstabbing.  Al, how 'bout more
info on the new one, to help fuel our own creative fires?

> Glad to hear Robo is alive and well.

Right!

> Peace folks.
>
> AB
Glad to hear AB's doing well too.  Get out of lurker mode, dude!
theo