HW: remasters - WOW!

Carl E. Anderson cea20 at CUS.CAM.AC.UK
Thu May 2 07:34:21 EDT 1996

> > The only one I haven't really played alot is
> > "sorry mode on" Space Ritual,as i've been quite content to
> > listen to the others.THe EBS sampler is ok, quite good value for
>
> Funny you should say that, because Space Ritual is the remaster that I
> could most easily have done without.  One Way's release was a bit soft
> around the edges, but so crashingly heavy that you couldn't possibly
> fault it.
> EMI's release is much sharper, but I find that sharpness wasn't
> something that I greatly wanted out of Space Ritual.  The release is
> very nice, but not something that I was desperately in need of.  (All
> the others *were* desperately needed.)

        I agree that of the One Way releases, _SR_ was probably the best,
but I'm really happy with the clarity on the EMI _SR_.  Removing the
LP fadeouts was also a plus, as were the nice clean Greasy Truckers
tracks.  The packaging was also really excellent.
        All that could have improved SR was including full versions of
"Time We Left" and "Brainstorm".  I don't care whether that would have
impaired the "classicness" of the original album by adding more material,
it's the way it *should* be.  But I not going to complain about what I
got too much! ;)

        The new _SR_ has made me happier with a good album and the new
_Doremi_ has cleaned up the sound to turn a dodgy sounding CD release
back into a good one.

Cheers,
Carl