More 80's/90's segue-ing into BOC/HW

Richard Lockwood richard.lockwood at TPD.CO.UK
Fri May 10 14:32:20 EDT 1996

>Yes- I imagine that might be true- Being from Britain, you might remember
>Bad News?  My favourite 80's Metal band from Europe.

Of course - who can forget such great lyrics as;
"Give me another drink Mr. Bartender,
If you don't I'm gonna stick your dick in a blender,
Coz I, I want to drink 'til I die"

>In the 80s I got fed up with "metal", (aside from Metallica, and of course
>Bad News)

But after the first three albums, Metallica suck *big* time.

>and delved into roots blues and stuff like Traffic, Hawkwind,
>Jack Bruce, and Bill Frissell and found myself completely ready for Nirvana
>and the Pixies.  I appreciated the fact that Guns/Roses showed it was OK to
>be heavy and not play Bach etudes at 100 km/hr...I got really sick of the
>Yngwie Malmsteen stuff.

Quite.

>Throughout it all, I liked BOC (not discovering Hawkwind until relatively
>recently), but interestingly
>enough, I never paid any attention to their earlier stuff until the
>grunge/punk revival thing came around- the early BOC stuff actually fits
>more into that genre than it did with the early '70s, which is why I get so
>disappointed that BOC doesn't seem to live up to their potential to make a
>sort of underground comeback...Have things come full circle?  Or have I
>once again gone on a completely insane tangent?

No - I'd say you've got a point, but 99% of the 'punk revival' stuff made it
quite appealing to listen to those old ABBA albums.  Or at least made them
look revolutionary.  For some *serious* attitude, dig out those old copies of
the late 70's/early 80's bands like Crass and Conflict, and then wonder why
you ever bought anything by the likes of Offspring or even (dare I say it?)
Nirvana.

The BOC link I can almost see, but the reason that I can see for the
non-revival of BOC is that they are still viewed in most circles as a dinosaur
rock band, mainly due to *that* single, and the fact that they can play.  It's
the 'punk' thing again, the same attitude that buried Slade - good songs, well
played, successful, hence they must be shit.

Just my two penn'orth.

Cheers,

Rich.

** Supercalifragalisticborussiamunchengladbach **