BOC: Buck Dharma and Mutation

Jason Scruton scruto19 at POTSDAM.EDU
Mon Nov 4 12:13:16 EST 1996

Ted and Carl wrote,

>> Also to blame is the
>> relatively unsophisticated recording techniques employed on the first
>> couple of albums [although I think this actually contributes to the
>> slightly claustrophobic sound at times]
I think that clausterphobic sound you describe is in some ways what helped
add to their mysterious, evil early image (especially with those 1st 2 LP
covers and the all leather Eric Bloom fomr those days)  (could you imagina
an eric bloom action figure in leather gear(not forgetting the cape :))?
could come with the leather whip he mentions in live diz busters and that
pack of canines in ST hehe)

> Now if they'd played those same songs but come out with a sound more like
>>Sabbath (or Hawkwind :) was getting around the same time--thicker and
>>heavier--that would have been great.  IMO, of course :)
Of course...but then again it's that bassless sound (reminds me of MC5's
Back in the USA) which I think helped distinguish them from being stick on
the Black Sabbath wanna be wagon. (Though you are correct in that they are
woefully recorded by "the demonic duo")

>    Oh, for a recording of "Stairway to the Stars" that really _thundered_.
> Despite the fearsome recording quality, I think I still like the _Live
>1976_ "Stairway" better than the studio version simply because it is much
>more agressive and virbrant sounding.
Indeed. That smooth "jive solo" before Buck kicks into high gear on the LP
version just sets it up to rock loud and like a giant juggernaut of "we're
bad and this is why" attituted the song exudes.  The Live 76 1st middle
solo aslo ROCKS until that odd scale thing Buck did. but hey, he IS the
Master after all.

I think SP and MK, when mixing T&M and ST's songs together were trying for
that "Sgt. Peppers" kind of continuity.  Just a thought.

I think it's your mind,
Jason