Rhesus test monkeys in space

Christian Mumford christian.mumford at LOGIN.EUNET.NO
Tue Nov 12 06:38:09 EST 1996

I just read the other day this article on the russians using rhesus monkeys
for testing the physical effects of space travel on people. The poor little
guys got strapped onto a tin-can like device inside a rocket and shot up
into orbit for weeks (or months) and brought back down and tested on (muscle
deterioration etc.). The article didn't really mention if they were ALIVE
when they came back down, or how life support (say, taking a crap or getting
peckish up there while strapped down) functions for the monkeys.... I wonder
though if it's necessary - it's not like humans haven't spent enough time up
there.... and being strapped down in weightless space for weeks probably
deteriorate the monkeys more than normal - what happens when they come back
down? Do they train them back in shape for the next mission? I think not....

Christian