'Scots'/'Scotch'

Christian Mumford christian.mumford at LOGIN.EUNET.NO
Tue Nov 12 09:35:08 EST 1996

>Maybe the UK folk on the list can explain this:  Why is it 'Scots' in
>the UK, but in the US it's 'Scotch' or Scotish?  For instance, we
>Americs. refer to the species of tree as Scotch Pine wheras in the UK
>it's called Scots Pine.  Also, more importanly, what do you call the
>spirit, Scotch or Scots, and why do we spell whiskey different than
>you do?
>theo

Scotch is a Whiskey, but not a Scotsman (at least as far as I know)......
There's a lot of different ways of spelling within the English language
(British or USA...or Scots?) - take 'color' and 'colour' for example...

Christian