HW: Yuri

\joe hawkjoe at EKA.ERICSSON.SE
Sat Apr 26 04:54:31 EDT 1997

At 01:37 1997-04-26 +0400, you wrote:
>dat dere joe says...
>>
>> >for those of you who need to have *everything*, _Bring Me the Head..._ is
>> >out in DigiPak format. It's the first CD with the original geometry cover
>> [...SNIP...]
>> >...and yes, Yuri is much better than it's rumour (as a waste of plastic) -
>>
>> Okay, so it's not a waste of plastic.  I have the Charly CD
>> with the wrong date (1976) on it.  What else can I do with
>> it instead of letting it be a waste of plastic?
>
>I wonder why so many people on this list do dislike 'Yuri Gagarin' so
>much? I do agree that the sound quality is far from perfect (and yes,
>info on the above-mentioned Charly release is horrible - although I
>think its cover is much better than on original release), but it is the
>only record with very interesting poetry pieces (Gaga, In the Egg and
>Wage War) that I think are worth having for the real Hawkfan. Well, I
>have checked Codex and found that they were released also on Live
>'70/'73 (aka Welcome To The Future) and Early Daze, but none of them
>have full versions of all of them:
>
>In The Egg
>    1     Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Garagin
>    1     Early Daze
>    1     Live '70/'73
>    1     Welcome To The Future
>
>Gaga
> L  1     Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Garagin
> L  1     Early Daze
>
>Wage War
>    1     Bring Me The Head Of Yuri Garagin
>    1 a   Live '70/'73
>    1 a   Welcome To The Future
>
>     (a)  1a is a cut version of 1

agree 100% to the words of mr Yuri himself

_Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin_ +

  it's the *original* release.
  it is recorded from *one* show
  it was released at a time when the common hawkfan hadn't heard so much
   of the early 70:ies on vinyl yet.

_Bring Me the Head of Yuri Gagarin_ -

  poor sound quality
  (as many of the other unofficial live recordings from this era)
  the tracks has been recycled several times later
  (not Yuri Gagarin's fault, or..?)

Questions to those of you who use to throw your Gagarin releases
like a frisbee instead of playing it:

1) what do you think of _Text of Festival_,
   another *original* release in similar situation as _Yuri Gagarin_?

2) what do you think of compilations like _Live 70/73_, _Welcome to the Future_
   and Early Daze, where nothing new is brought to you?
   A better buy than _Yuri Gagarin_..? More inspiring to listen to..?

3) if you had been on a hawkshow in London at the very day of 1973.05.27,
   wouldn't you like to have [parts of] that show in vinyl or cd format,
   no matter how the cover looked like, or how the sound quality was?
   (no, I wasn't...)

>Yuri Elik, uriah at pop.convey.ru

\\joe\proud_yuri_owner