BOC: Article in Seconds Magazine

Troy Harris tlh at RUBENS.ITS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Fri Feb 7 06:26:23 EST 1997

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, John A Swartz wrote:

> Troy:
>
> I didn't mean to start a "I like Club Ninja" thread either!  ;-)

 Nor did I, it is just that it seems asummed by some that no one likes the
album.  They are wrong.

> I'm a bad judge because I can listen to anything BOC puts out, and
> get some level of enjoyment out of it.  I personally prefer some of
> the heavier sounding BOC stuff (which is why, despite the silly
> lyrics, "Beat 'em Up" is one of my favorite songs on the album!).
> The thing is to me is that CN doesn't have alot of tunes on it that
> everyone can say they like, and there are a few songs that most people
> will tell you they don't like.

 I have never heard a BOC song that I did not like.  Is this unusual?
Many of my pals are the same.

> I haven't tried this, but I think it can be boiled down to a fairly
> simple mathematical formula.  Something like this:  Take any BOC album,
> and look at each song.  Give the album a point for every song that
> you like on it, and take a point off for everyone that you don't like.
> I think some of BOC's albums will get similar scores from almost
> everyone.

  The only hitch being that the more songs an album has, the more it will
rate according to this system.  It would be impossible , if one liked all
songs, to say ST was better than T&M., for eg.

> I'll bet that *Secret Treaties* will score, say, 5 or over
> for almost everyone, and I'll bet that *Club Ninja* will probably
> score 0 or less for almost everyone (except maybe for Troy, who
> claims to like it all, and me, who even likes "Beat 'em Up" ;-)  ).
> My guess is that *Mirrors* and *Revolution by Night* will also
> score fairly low using this method, although there will be a few
> folks that rate *Mirrors* a bit higher.  *Imaginos* will also be
> somewhat mixed, but most will rate it over 4 or so.  *BOC* and *Tyranny
> and Mutation* will likewise be fairly high, while *AOF*, *Spectres*,
> and *Cultosaurus* will be mixed.

 Could be a worthwhile exercise, eliminating the flaws anyway.

> But enough of my rambling...

 Okay then.  :)

  Troy