tBS: Jam Session and other things which go bump in the night

Bolts of Ungodly Vision scruto19 at POTSDAM.EDU
Thu Jan 23 09:21:19 EST 1997

Martin wrote:

>I personally am a little wary of the whole unplugged concept.  I think it
>is a great idea to hear songs that are usually electric performed in an
>acoustic manner, but it seems completely pointless when they are performed
>with drums, electric bass and lots of supporting musicians, such as the
>Nirvana and Alice in Chains MTV broadcasts.
understood. It all really started to take off as a fab thing to do when
Eric Clapton made gonzo radio airtime with his little Mtv stint.  But still

>......This is no intended criticism of tBS, I am certain
>they would do a killer acoustic set - I just feel that it is a rather
>overhyped 'concept'.
What is far worse is the rash of "Symphonic Music of (insert band name
here)" LPs popping up everywhere (as in the ludicrous notion of symphonic
Rolling Stones, Queen, and Toto(!) to name a few...).  In my opinion,the
whole notion of Symph. rock was best explored in a time long since past
(Procol Harum's numerous dabblings,Deep Purple's Concerto for Group and
Orchestra,etc.). Its a far more cliched thing to do these days.  At least
with acoustic performances as they have manifested themselves to date, the
original artists are actively involved in the arrangement of material and
play it.
Nonetheless, if the chance to hear the Brain Surgeons perform non-electric
renditions of their tunes does arise, it ought to be interesting to hear
how well (or (god forbid) badly, since we shouldn't put the stamp of
approval on a product without inspecting it)they do in this sort of
acousticified atmosphere.

Jason S.

obLP:Caravan and the New Symphonia (just by coincidence mind you)