OFF: Jethro Tull

Marshall Wood mwood at SLICE.AGILE.COM
Thu Jul 31 08:18:58 EDT 1997

>On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:04:21 EDT Marshall Wood <mwood at SLICE.AGILE.COM> wrote:
>>Come to think of it, I think it was that box [20th Anniv.] that
>>caused my Tullitis.  I now have all of their stuff, which is
>>the only cure for this condition.
>Really?  Even "Stormwatch" and "A"?  I got rid of Stormwatch because "Orion"
>was the only slightly decent track on it (IMO).

"Orion" is good, but what about "Dun Ringill" ?  Actually, I
didn't really care for _Stormwatch_ the first time I heard it,
but while my Tullitis was at its peak, I listened to it
repeatedly, and started to really enjoy it.

>"A" I gave away because the
>25th [not 20th] Anniversary box has - IMO again - the definitive mix of
>"Black Sunday", which is, like on Stormwatch, the only good track.

"BS" is definitely the best track there, but I also like "The
Pine Marten's Jig" (a typical Tull instrumental), "Fylingdale
Flyer" and "4 W.D." (a track which most Tull fans despise).

>P.S.:  Even "Catfish Rising"?  "Rock Island"?!?!?

_Catfish Rising_ has about an equal mix of hits and misses (I
love "Rocks on the Road"), but _Rock Island_ is mostly hits
(don't care for "Kissing Willie," but I really like "Whaler's
Dues" and "Another Christmas Song").  I'm surprised you didn't
mention _Under Wraps_, which is a truly horrid effort.

So that this post doesn't just concentrate on JT's mediocre
efforts, I'll mention that my favorites are _Songs from the
Wood_, _Heavy Horses_ (the title cut and "Moths" are two of
the best things they've ever done), and _Broadsword and the
Beast_.  Oh, and the _20 Years of JT_ boxed set.  Almost
forgot _Living in the Past_.  And _A Little Light Music_.
And, and, and...  you get the idea.

MWood

NP:  _Volume Two: Brainstorm_ - Mastermind