NIK : ICU discs

Jon Browne jon at COMICS.DEMON.CO.UK
Mon Mar 10 12:44:44 EST 1997

In message <332443B5.4BBB at micron.net>, Cliff & Pam Wheaton
<cwheaton at MICRON.NET> writes
>Hi all!
>I just had to ask about this one!! Will someone please tell this HW/Nik
>Turner fledgling what these are? Thanks in advance!!
>I purchased "Past or Future" yeaterday-It's awesome!!! I'm gonna hafta
>get somemore of this work!!
>Pam
After Nik ejected from Spaceship Hawkwind in deep space in 1976 or 77 he
formed a Psychedelic Punk band called Inner City Unit which itself had a
couple of incarnations. This band wrote, performed and occasionally
recorded several of the tracks currently being revived by Nik Turner's
"Hawkwind" / Space Ritual, among many others of equal worth which at
present languishing in the archives. They were also *the* most exciting
live act I ever saw and I've seen a few, I can tell you!  ICU originals
on Nik's Cleopatra output include Watching The Grass Grow, Strontium 90
(originally Nuclear Waste itself a revival of a track by The Radiators -
a band which featured Nik, Sting, Steve Hillage among others),
Stonehenge, Who Knows? , Cybernetic Love, Bones Of Elvis & Fallout. So
as you can see, there's a pretty damn strong case for the original
versions being made available especially when they are arguably much
better, albeit "punker". Steve Pond was the guitarist for ICU (Hello
Steve) who maintains the excellent ICU homepages where I believe he's
giving away Maximum Effect singles <grin>. Now you're going have to web-
search for the URL......
--
Jon Browne