No subject

Ted Jackson jr. EL84 tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Tue Mar 11 12:17:58 EST 1997

> From:          "BREVARD Adrian R." <ABrevard at SHL.COM>
>
> Theo>"Kind of apples and oranges, I guess.  The two bands were working
> different sides of the street..."
>
> By this are you referring to a style of music?  I saw both these shows
> within a few weeks of each other.  BOC show was after Kiss, both were
> headliners, but to me there was little comparison; BOC was a much better
> band.  There was more emotion in their playing.  Thats the only
> comparison I'm trying to make.  Stylistically can you compare Ace to
> Buck?  I don't think so.

I was thinking both musical complexity and core audience.  Hard to
make head-to-head comparissons of the musicians, but certainly Ace
can't compare to BD as a player--and this isn't to put Ace down.
Certain songs require different guitar treatment.  Pete Townshend
never was a blazing lead player, but I'd rank him one of the all-time
greatest rocks gtrsts simply due to his overall contribution to the
art form.  Even at the time you saw them, it's likely BOC drew an
older crowd, and there's the crossover of prog-rockers and sci-fi
fans to BOC that I don't envision drawing such folks to be Kiss fans.
Like they say: 20 million fans can't be wrong!

> Again history being unkind to our heros.  A couple of years back some
> magazine did a survey of the top 100 metal riffs of all time.  BOC got
> one mention for "zilla which was somewhere in the middle of the pack.
> Bands like Sab and Kiss had multiple entires on the list.  I think Bad
> Company had at least two. Go figure.
>
> Gotta go find the new Threshold.
>
> lil ab

Wow!  No mention of CoFWRaR?  If that ain't a riff, I don't know what
they need!  Granted, Sab is very riff-oriented, and BOC isn't always,
but really!
theo