OFF:Veruca Salt/Savatge

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Thu Nov 6 13:56:33 EST 1997

JS>Well, they sound NOTHING like BOC/tBS/Hawkwind, nor Y&T or
Savatage...

Theo>wow, BOC and Y&T in the same sentence! now if you'd only managed to
give King's X a name check, I'd've had to credit you with supremely
good taste! as it is I'll give you the benefit of the doubt ;->

Howls Theo!  Thanks so much for brightening me up.  I've been sick for a
few days and I'm just getting back.  John is so understated and self
effacing, I bet he can play most of Doug's songs by ear.  Come on John
fess up, you know you can.

JS>My suspicion is that most BOC fans will not get particularly excited
about Veruca Salt, although if you like a heavy guitar sound, this might
appeal to you.  Oh yeah, I kind of think of Veruca Salt as being sort of
a grungy
version of the Go-Go's or the Bangles.  Lately, I'm listening more and
more to female singers than male singers it seems.

I wouldn't imagine most BOC'ers would either, but ya never know.  Take
me I'm like Eyes Bloom, I tend to like some Stone Temple Pilots music
and that must really put me in the minority.  One day you may get a
chance to hear some Velvet Hammer, all female band.  If these ladies
ever catch a break they will be like nothing you've ever heard before.
I have a live CD the band did and man can these ladies play and sing.

Mr. Ola>Sorry to bother all of you with this...

I remember reading something by someone who seemed like a Savatage
enthousiast on this list. Where are you and what is your name? I've been
an avid rock fan for 20 years, but I've never heard Savatage. Probably
because their album covers make me think of Manowar (!) and such bands.
Anyway, I've heard/read some great things about them lately and I'd like
to find out more. Which Savatage album should I check out first?

Hello Mr. Ola, you thinking about some Savatage eh.  Well depends on
your taste as there is a distinct beginning, middle and current flavor
to this band.  Current is by far the best.  As some pointed out they are
cast in the Progressive Metal category, not much like a Dream Theater or
Shadow Gallery, the music can be a bit complex becuase its more like
combining Heavy Metal with Classical music.  This band has a Big Sound.
Now real early Savatage (Power of Night, Sirens and stuff like that)
probably does sound a lot like Manowar and assorted metal monsters.
They were loud, fast and loud.  Have never heard Hall of the Mountain
King but starting with Gutter Ballet you can hear the progressive stuff
creeping into their sounds.  Streets is much the same way.  These two
feature Jon Oliva on vox.  Jon does most of the writing, plays keys and
does some guitar work for the band. Sounds a bit like Alice Cooper with
his vox.  Starting with Edge of Thorns (Brilliant CD!) they brought Zak
in to do vocals.  He's a great vocalist and could probably kick big
booty with BOC's music.  Lots of range and power in his voice.  Thorns
is harder and edgier than Handful of Rain which has even more of that
big orchestra sound.  For my money (not counting the new one which is
only in Europe at this point, Lucky Ducks) you should start with Dead
Winter Dead.  Concept album and it is brilliant.  This is Savatage at
their absolute best.  OK recap, don't think you can go wrong with
everything from Gutter Ballet going forward, just prepare yourself for
the gradual change (metal to progressive) and quantum leap in vocal
quality (Oliva to Zak).  Hope that helps.

L8er

lil ab

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances.
He does not wear the "hello my name is" badge.
He strikes from below like a viper.
Or from up high like a penny being dropped from the tallest building
around.
He has but the one purpose, to do bad things to good people with
science!" - Chromedome

OBCD: Triumph - Just A Game