Calvert Newspaper article

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.CS.VT.EDU
Thu Nov 13 12:18:41 EST 1997

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, stalker wrote:

> reg. the soundfiles I've added recently - you (and everyone here) should
> really think about getting a soundcard - real audio is quite a good tool
> for adding soundfiles to websites - without the boredom problem of
> eternal download times - and you'll find them more and more on other
> sites too...so, I think its really worth spending a few bucks on it in
> the nearer future.

My main complaint is that RealAudio is a proprietary solution, and has
lower quality and compression than MPEG.  More tools are available for
handling MPEG audio (both free and proprietary), and the format is an
ISO standard used by audio/video professionals throughout the world.

> the real audio software you'll need then can be downloaded for free from
> real.com

I asked this the last time this topic arose, but got no reply, so I'll
ask again in the hope that someone can help me: can anyone tell me where
I can download the real audio player for OpenBSD 2.1?

Cheers,

Paul.

obCD: None (hardware still broken)

e-mail: paul at gromit.cs.vt.edu

"I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time"
        --- James Marshall Hendrix