HW: 1999 Party lineup?

Dave Berry daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK
Wed Nov 19 12:10:00 EST 1997

On 19 Nov 15:57, Carl E. Anderson wrote:
> On 19 nov 1997 12.31 +0000 "Dave Berry" <daveb at HARLEQUIN.CO.UK> wrote:
> > My remasters tend to sit on the shelf and hardly ever get played,
> although
> > I'm happy to own them.  I expect this album will join them.  If you play
> > the early albums, then this one is essential.  Even if you don't, it's
> > well worth a listen.
>
>     Yet more evidence for the Theory of Hawkfan Bipolarity :)
>
>     My remasters sit within arms reach on my desk and get played lots :)  I
> expect _1999_ to join them :)

Ah, well you're just a young scrap of a thing ;-).  I've known the old
albums for so many decades that I don't need to play them any more.
I can conjure a note-perfect rendition of the entirety of HotMG in my
head :-).

>     Since only a fraction of my albums, including HW, are with me, it's
> interesting for me to note what I have.  All remasters, a Calvert years
> comp, and then the 90s albums (minus IITBOTFTBD and TBT).  Actually, I
> think I've got _Live Chronicles_ here somewhere.

Not such good evidence for the theory of Hawkfan bipolarity, then.
The albums I play the most are the 90's albums (excluding Space Bandits),
plus Live Chronicles.  (Also the two studio Spiral Realms albums).
Albums I play occasionally include HotMG (OK, so that's a remaster),
QS&C, PXR5, TIH:DNP and XC.  (Also the Anubian Lights album).  Very
occasionally I'll dig out one of the others.

Seriously, I think my preference for the newer albums is largely to
do with familiarity.  It's not that I don't like the UA years stuff;
it's just such a well-trodden path for me that it's not exciting
any more.  It's the same reason I really liked hearing SteppenWolf
and Aerospaceage Inferno live, but couldn't get excited about
Brainstorm and Ejection.

Oh sod it, pass me the walking frame!  "I've got, a zimmer machine!".

>     On the spinoff side, I've got Uncle Nik's _Past or Future_

I don't think that much of this.  It's got its good moments, but
it's also got its bad moments (like Nik's voice on D-Rider).

>     From Our Man Lemmy, I've got _On Parole_ (remastered), some
> compilations of early material,

I have just a tape of No Sleep Til Hammersmith, which has got all the
good early stuff on.  I don't really know his later stuff.  I got 1916
out of the library, but wasn't impressed.

> Cheers,
> Carl

Dave.

--
Harlequin Ltd., Technology Transfer Centre, King's Buildings,
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JL, UK.