Next BOC Album

Tue Oct 7 09:24:09 EDT 1997

Troy writes:

> I agree, BUY THEM ALL!
 This sentiment from Aaron is indicative of a true BOC fan.   You rule Dude!
 I like Club Ninja, Mirrors, and Revolution by Night.  They all rock, and
all have some choice morsels of BOC brilliance.
  Just because the more vocal fans on the list don't think much of them is
not a true indicator of the fans as a whole.  At our annual BOC nights here
in Australia, we play all the albums chronologically, and like it that way!
  Long Live "Eyes on Fire", and "White Flags"!

Do we HAVE to defend everything because someone speaks negatively about
it?  Look, I own and listen to ALL of BOC's albums - and I don't think
this makes me any more of a "true BOC fan" than someone who doesn't -
but this thread started because someone wanted to know what album they
should buy after hearing the WOTT compilation.  Look, if this person was
going to just buy all of BOC's albums, this thread would be rather pointless,
wouldn't it?  And frankly, I think that what has been said about the
various albums in the past IS a pretty good indicator of what fans as
a whole think of them.  If you poll a large number of BOC fans, you will
see that as a whole, they rank Mirrors, RBN, and Club Ninja near the bottom
of their favorite BOC albums -- that doesn't necessarily mean that these
albums are worthless, but that most fans agree that BOC has other albums
which are better.  Hell, most of the band will tell you that they aren't
too fond of certain records.  Joe Bouchard left the band in part because
of BOC's musical direction with Club Ninja, as did Allen Lanier (for
awhile anyway).  Albert Bouchard has referred to "You're Not The One I
Was Looking For" as referring to Tom Werman (Mirrors producer), and it
is clear that the heaviness (and production by Martin Birch) of Cultosaurus
was a direct reaction to Mirrors (Bolle can attest that most of the BOC
fanclub quit after Mirrors was released).

Look, I like Club Ninja - I have all 3 versions of it (there were 3
different releases, each with a slightly different mix), and I play it
quite often.  BUT - if someone wants to get a good feel for BOC's sound,
it it not going to be the album I recommend to them.  It's not going to
be the second, third, or fourth album I recommend.  Does that mean they
shouldn't hear it?  No - but it means that there is much more that they
will probably be interested in first.

Sorry to vent, and no offense toward Troy or anyone else is intended.  I
think all of BOC's stuff has merit (and when I wrote the FAQ, I stated
that you should get all of their albums), but when *choices* have to be
made, it is a completely valid point that certain albums come more
highly-recommended than others.  We BOC fans should feel lucky that
we've got such great albums to choose from in the first place.

John