Off: More Dead Guitars

BREVARD, Adrian R. abrevard at SHL.COM
Wed Sep 10 16:09:23 EDT 1997

Guido>If he or she is referring to  such a lack in Top 40, I'm in full
agreement. Screaming guitar has been  replaced by screechy "vocals".

Mostly top 40 popular music.  This is what those evil executives in the
ivory towers are thrusting upon an unsuspecting public.  Triumph's Just
A Game describes the music industry to a tee.

From:    Jerry >
To start with your obCD, Petrucci might be one of them (new heroes?),
but I think his playing lacks emotion. Too technical. I saw them three
times in a row and all solos sounded the same.

Petrucci does have fast fingers and some juicy licks but it sounds as if
all his parts are produced by a computer. He is very technical.  Reminds
me a lot of Steve Morse.  Morse is so swift and clean that if I had a
wish it would be for skills similar to his and Buck's ability to imbue
music with emotion.

Guido>As for Ted Nugent, I suspect we won't hear anything interesting
from him.

Ted has definietly seen better days.  He functioned alright as part of
Damn Yankees, but his last solo gig was a major failure.  Ted in a group
has potential be it ever so small.

Theo>I see the non-soloing thing as a rebellion against hair band
excess.  But also it reflects the fact that a lot of alternative guys
picked up the instrument more as a songwriting tool than a platform
for soloing.  And it's cool that these guys formed bands before they
were highly proficient [technically, anyway] to play a lot of lead,
so they just wrote songs that didn't have lead playing.  And the
formula worked, so why change anything?

That was one of the thoughts in the article.  Several guys have the
skill but just stick to the style, others just don't have the skill or
feel those skills are even necesarry anymore.  But as a lurker pointed
out in a private e-mail, lead guitarist really have to master rythm
guitar first as more than 95% of the time thats what your doing anyway.

Theo>BTW, AB, how 'bout Gary Hoey as a young turk gtr slinger?  True, he
plays more of an older style, and I can see how he'd be lumped in
[incorrectly, IMHO] with dudes like Vatriani, but he has a cool sense
of humor and doesn't seem to have the pedantic self-absorption of
some of the other guitar gods..

Ah theo I thought you promised never to mention Hoey again? 8>).  Gary
drives me crazy I love his playing.  I'd take him over any of the G3
gang and Morse too.  His songs are just that songs and he dosen't seem
to carry the extra baggage of a huge out of proportion ego like Yngwie.
Gary collaborates with other guitarist (Brian Stezer on Bug Alley, Nuno
Benttencourt on the Heavy Bones CD).  Please excuse the drool on the
monitors folks but I tend to react that way for Hoey.  Even my wife
loves Gary Hoey and she only listens to gospel and Earth Wind and Fire.
I can't get into Satirani, Vai and some of those guys for the reasons
you mentioned.  One listen occassionally isn't bad if your in the mood
but hard to get absorbed in their albums.

Jason>Well, seeing that the ol' warhorses the Rolling Stones are
supposedely
incorporating "fance" (funk and dance music) into their trademark sound,

Incroporating dance music?  Stones have been playing essentially dance
music since the late 80's I thought.  Maybe they are going even deeper.
Perhaps they'll have a guy with a couple of turntables scratching some
vinyl during the tour.  I wouldn't put it past those dinosaurs to do
such a thing.

My Top Guitarist, bear in mind I only listen to a small number of bands
seriously

The Master and all time champ - Buck Dharma (Who else?)

1. Ty Tabor - King's X -
2. Gary Hoey
3. Steve Morse
4. Jeff Beck
5. Rik Emmet
6. Frank Marino
7. Eddie Van Halen
8. Vernon Reid - Living Colour
9. Ritchie Blackmore  - Deep Purple and Rainbow era
10. Chris DiGarmo - Queensryche

L8er
lil' ab

"No brains today, were only serving humble pie whatch-a-ma-zog." - The
Tick

Tick - : Enough chasing, its your turn thora-smog
TAZ - Thrack-a-zog, thrack-a-zog with a K; boy are you ever rude.
Lil Monster - Eat rude brains!
Tick - No brains today, were only serving humble pie whatch-a-ma-zog.
TAZ - Listen buddy for the last time its thra…
Tick - Thorax-in-a-bog?
TAZ - Thrak…
Tick - Ah Laxative log
TAZ - no, no, no
Tick - lap land -a- zog
TAZ - no, no, no
Tick - Four yaks and a dog?
TAZ - Thrak…
Tick - Sep suck a frog?
TAZ - no, no, no
Tick - Susan?
TAZ - Now your doing it on purpose, how juvenille.