BOC: Re: Heaven Forbid, I'm back!

Wed Dec 16 14:56:16 EST 1998

> If I was to pick three songs off of HF, they would have to be "Harvest
> Moon", One of Bucks greatest songs with some of the best lyrics I have
> ever heard. "X-Ray Eyes" a fast and feverish lick which is trademark
> BOC. Finally "Real World", that riff is just so good, with "Power
> Underneath Dispair" getting an honorary mention, aggressive riff with
> that very cool tempo change in the chorus. This album is probably close
> to the bottom lyrically, with the obvious exception "Harvest Moon", and
> the worst lyrically being "Hammer back". But musically I think the whole
> album is grand, and compared to few BOC albums that came before this
> one, it's nice to see them back on track, can hardly wait for the next
> release. I think im going to order the European release to get the other
> cover, wonder if the spelling of "Dispair" is different over there ;-).

Just to put a different tuppence in the hat...  I thought the best numbers
on HF were the no-nonsense riffing ones, "See You in Black" and "Hammer
Back".  Also "Power Underneath Despair", for the above reasons.  I thought
the duffers were "Damaged", for its derivative white-funk "uh-huh uh-huh"
rhythm and the cringe-making line "I live for rock'n'roll"; "Still Burnin'"
for being just weak, and "X-Ray Eyes" for an irritating chorus and lazy
lyrics - "in the fifties, Ray Milland", like he couldn't really be arsed
what year the film really came out, probably the fifties, no point in
checking, that'll be good enough (1964 in fact).  (That annoys me more than
it should, maybe I'm still more anal retentive than I like to think I am :)

"Harvest Moon" I liked more live than on record, and conversely, I thought
"Live for Me" was no great shakes on the album but loved it live.

But then I like the Cardigans so what do I know! :)

- Andy