BOC: Re: Heaven Forbid, I'm back!

Joseph Brooks iplug at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 16 18:10:50 EST 1998

Ok, thanks all.. Its good to be back. I've been hanging on the moe. list and
its full of all sorts of nonsense.. (love the band though, heard 'em? They
recently covered DFTR at one of their shows..)

Anyway, I tried real hard to like HF, I really did. I wanted so much to like
it. However, I just can't seem to get the hang of it. "See You in Black"
sounds to me just like Buck and the gang trying to be something they're not
(a metal band in their 20's). "Harvest Moon", I like it.. but whats with
that speed metal jam in there? Seems out of place (though it *does* rock..).

Of the rest.. what can I say? It pains me but I cringe every time I hear
"Hammer Back" or "Power Underneath Dispair". They seem so contrived
lyrically (Sandy, where *are* you!). Still Burnin'? I don't think so, Buck.
And since when does BOC write lyrics that sound like they're right off a
Kiss album?  (blech!) Like I find with bands like Metallica, it seems they
are searching for nefarious subjects to write about only because they think
they have to keep up the sinister image that they had. The results sound
forced and uninspired. I focus on the lyrics I guess because they are what
drew me to BOC in the first place.

Musically, I suppose I can say I have no major complaints aside from what I
said above and some repetition..

John, you're absolutely right. I'm looking for "Secret Treaties II" and it
just ain't gonna happen. But damn it, thats what I want. Not neccesarily a
step back to that musical and lyrical style but just something with the sort
of impact that ST had.

awww, damn, I wanna be 14 and in awe again!

(Disclaimer: sorry if I sound negative.. Its just that I've been waiting for
months to discuss this with fellow Culters...)

JB
"Whatever you do, take care of your shoes.." -- Phish
"So Ladies, Fish and Gentlemen, here's my angled dream.." -- Blue Oyster
Cult