HW: Bob sings, Nik sings (was: Your captain is dead, part 2)

LN1GJT Guy.Thomas at LONDON.ENTOIL.COM
Wed Feb 11 05:30:46 EST 1998

rj writes (with reference to Nik's sacking):

>also, according to nik: huw lloyd was a large force in the decision, quoted as
>saying"im sick of him stepping all over my leads!"  (with the sax.)
>rj

RJ, you're probably right there, but that was the second ocassion when Nik was
fired, back in 1985. (I think Nik's last gig as a full member of the line-up
was the gig at Whitehorse Hill, Wiltshire UK, summer solstace 1985. This was
in-lieau of playing at Stonehenge that year, as the authorities were cracking
down!

At that time, Huw was in the band, but the first sacking prior to Quark S & C,
Huw had been absent for six or seven years, not due to re-appear on the scene
until the 1979 tour.

Nik re-surfaced at the Christmas 1981 gig at the Rainbow Theatre, London. Quite
a superb gig, with Calvert and Moorcock guesting too! Before HW's set Bob and
Nik did a rather version of Masters of the Universe, with just a Stylophone
(remember those awfull things that Rolf Harris used to advertise!) and sax. I
didn't really sound too good on the tape that I heard of the gig!(Allegedly,
there are cassette copies of this gig still floating around amongst the
tape-swappers - shouldn't be too hard to track down a copy!) Apparantly,
Calvert and Moorcock had a punch-up after the gig. (Probably due to musical
differences, and (of course) nothing to do with the fact that one of their
wives ditched one for the other, or so the rumours go - allegedly(again)!)

Nik then appeared at the various summer festivals in 1982 (before he acquired
his red-spike hair-do, and he used to wear a white suit!) I suppose he was
fully back on-board the mothership for the winter 1982 Masques tour.

Complicated stuff this Hawkwind?

Guy