THREE comics shop owners on BOC-L?

Tue Jan 6 08:57:28 EST 1998

On Tuesday, January 06, 1998 1:13 PM, Horse Whisperer
[SMTP:beautiful_foot at HOTMAIL.COM] wrote:
> >Isn't it interesting that so many comics folks are into BOC?
>
> Wasn't it said a while ago that BOC wrote _intelligent_ songs about
> serious arcane topics.  They made us think and we loved 'em for it.  And
> isn't that what a good comic/graphic novel does?

Well up to a point - but so do serious literary works, and how many
lecturers in lit crit have we got here?  I think rather there's something
about BOC (and Hawkwind's) imagery and lyrics that appeals to the same
people that enjoy comics.  Most obviously, "Buck Dharma" is a real 70's
comic book name if ever I heard one!  Could be someone Howard the Duck
bumped in to, easy!  As a teen I thought "Buck Dharma" was the coolest name
anyone could have.  It helped that I liked the music :), but the attitude
and imagery was just as important.  And you got the same attitude from a
lot of the comics ("Warlock" ruled!).

I think we've got a spectrum of comics readers, too, from the
straight-ahead superhero fans, to the post-modern ironic crowd who are the
most vocal on boc-l (which is probably why it's such a good forum, and also
why lots of people think we suck :).

(Speaking of comics, may I plonk down my two penn'orth for
_Transmetropolitan_? Issue six was basically a hilarious, extended rant
against religion which would offend as many people on this list as it would
entertain... :)

-Andy

ObMovie - _Starship Troopers_!!!