OFF: Comics: Friendly Frank's and Ellison

StevenTice StevenTice at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 7 00:57:40 EST 1998

<< All this talk about comic books reminds me of when I used to work for
 Friendly Frank's Distribution at their worldwide headquarters.  FFD was
 bought out a few years back after a serious shake-up in the comics industry,
 but before the buy-out it was the third-largest worldwide distributor of
 wholesale comic books.

Ahhh!  Not Friendly Frank's! :-)

I had a bad experience there as a retailer in 1990...then dealt with them as a
publisher a few years later and ended up out some money when the crash hit.
It was never what you'd call the most efficient operation...

>>It was a fun place to
 work out and I even got to talk to Harlan Ellison on the phone one time.

I've had many such phone calls from Harlan...getting him to do a column for
the first issue of my magazine was definitely an....experience.  But at least
I have my own personal "Harlan Ellison stories" now...:-)

SET