OFF: Starship Troopers (was Classic Rock)

Alasdair Macdonald alimac at NETCOMUK.CO.UK
Wed Jan 7 19:05:52 EST 1998

On  7 Jan 98 at 13:51, J. Michael Looney wrote:

> <major snippage>
>
> Any body that claims to say any thing about what the makers of the
> movie were trying to say, who has not read Heinlein's book "Starship
> Troopers" (from which the movie was based on, baddly I might add)
> is, to be blunt, missing the whole point, and is most likly wrong
> about one or more points.
>
> 1) The politics, at least in the book IS the point of the book. 2)
> The Makers of the movie didn't like Heinlein's views, so they made
> it, well, almost evil.  If you have not read the book, you WILL get
> the wrong idea about the concepts the R.A.H was trying to get
> across.

I went to see this movie on personal recommendation only, enjoyable
for what it was but absolute crud in any objective sense. Maybe the
book is worthwhile, i don't know but i wouldn't even bother to watch
it on tv, only worthwhile for seeing big spaceships on a big screen
and impressive computer generated stuff (also Diz (?) stirred
feelings within me). If the movie makers were trying to say anything
other than this is a shit movie i'm afraid they failed.

Alasdair
alimac at netcomuk.co.uk
ICQ contact info...
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/1573250