Deep Purple

brian halligan brianh at PULLEYN.COM
Mon Jun 22 09:57:11 EDT 1998

Nick said:
>Just bought the new album, 'Abandon'. I'm officially halfway through
>it, so I don't want to make any snap judgements. So far, the guy who
>already gave his opinions about it (I've GOT to start remembering
>names or stop deleting e-mails) had it kind of right. I like
>it...it's a good disc so far, and will most likely get the standard
>repeat listens, but it's probably not quite as good as I'd hoped.
>Same style as 'Purpendicular', but probably a little more
>bottom-heavy, and not quite as much variety.

That was me.  Yesterday, on my way to my parents' house for Father's
Day, I was listening to Abandon in the car.  The songs are growing on
me, but slowly.  "'69" really gets my foot tapping, and "Bludsucker" is
the perfect ending to the CD, but I still feel Abandon is pretty average
on the whole.  Everything is a slow groove, there isn't much
straight-ahead, driving rhythms to it.

Brian