OFF: Deep Purple

Chris Bates C.D.Bates at SHU.AC.UK
Thu Jun 25 05:09:36 EDT 1998

Nick English wrote:

> Just bought the new album, 'Abandon'. I'm officially halfway through
> it, so I don't want to make any snap judgements. So far, the guy who

First time I played it I wasn't sure. However it's now got to the
point where it's the only CD I'm listening to. This one really is
a grower I _really_ like it.

> repeat listens, but it's probably not quite as good as I'd hoped.
> Same style as 'Purpendicular', but probably a little more
> bottom-heavy, and not quite as much variety.

Purpendicular was soooo exciting, a total change of style from any
other DP album. I suspect that Abandon gets less of a reaction because
it's in the same style. In effect it sounds like DP, just as an album
that sounded like In Rock would not immediately be exciting. I must
say that over the last couple of years some of the older guys have really
started to rock again: Ozzy, DP and even Yes. Now if only Hawkwind
could get a dose of the elixir of youth that they've all been taking...

Chris Bates